Thursday, January 3, 2008

Obsessive? Compulsive? Maybe.

I have always enjoyed nature and appreciated seeing birds when they presented themselves to me in an outdoor setting but had never entertained the idea of "birdwatching." I grew up for the most part where I live now in Northern Kentucky (Cincinnati area) I remember watching hundreds of Chimney Swifts in the summer evenings on our back porch and seeing American Goldfinches when I was young stands out. I also remember the "hated" Blue Jays at the feeders in my grandparents backyard in Montauk, NY where we visited each year, not to mention the gulls everywhere stealing any tiny scrap of anything they could find anywhere at anytime.
1987, 18 years old joined the Marines moved to So. California. No birding. Marines took me all over including yearly month long tours in So. Arizona. No birding. 1992, 23 got out of Marines-moved to Denver, Co. -although visited Red Rocks often. No Birding. Saw birdwatchers at Red Rocks Natl' Park and thought what a bunch of old geeks. 1995, moved back to Cincinnati area. 1997, -met wife Michele and met 2 of her good friends Matt and Ryan who were both avid lifelong birders (geeks)No birding. 2000, 31-Matt gets me Natl' Geo. Field Guide to the Birds of North America for my birthday. I truly enjoy the book & the seed is planted. Years of "I should go with you sometime" No birding.
2006 Sept., 36-Matt takes me birding for the first time at Spring Valley Wildlife Area. I see Cedar Waxwing through binoculars and am amazed. I finally get it. The old geeks knew something I didn't. Still didn't consider birding in the winter but couldn't wait to try out my new hobby in 2007. Got on board for trips to Point Pelee & Cape May and went birding every chance I got . I started my life list in 2007 and finished the year with 226 species.
Decided I wanted to do a "Big Year" in 2008. I can't really afford to go for a record which most seem to say can't now be broken anyway(If I had limitless funds I would break it)but thought 500 would be a big enough and exciting enough challenge for me. I can fly for free because of my wife's job but can't afford to be gone for long stretches of time or extended car rentals and hotel rooms. So I can get there but will have to bird fast and furious and make the most of each short trip. If you know any birders in hotspots around the country who would like to take an out of towner to the local hot spots let me know, I could certainly use the help of local knowledge.
So this blog is to chronical my year and photo document as much as I can.

No comments: