Sunday, April 20, 2008

TINKLING IN THE GRASS

I have seen a ton of Horned Larks this winter/spring but heard a lark "tinkling" in the grass at Armleder Park this morning. I hadn't heard them "tinkle" before. There were also Savannah Sparrows sitting up singing in the sun. Meadowlarks as well. Malarkey, those are Blue-winged Teal swimming in the ditch by the dog park by the way. Brown Thrasher, Carolina Wren and Song Sparrows were there as well. I stopped at California Woods as well but didn't find anything new. The real drama took place on the way from California to Armleder. As I was looking for birds at California, nature called....loudly. I was looking at logs on the way back to the car. I decided I couldn't risk being caught hanging my ass out over a log near a park entrance. I told myself I could make it to the car...I did. Then I told myself I could make it to the UDF on the way to Armleder. I was driving as fast as I dared thinking "I am not going to make it!" As I raced down 52 I saw a port-o-potty in by the soccer fields and pulled in thanking the lord I don't believe in. There were a few other people gathering to play soccer. I parked 1 foot from the port-o-potty and made it just in time. Those things are a nasty place to have to do your business but it was better than in my pants in the car for sure. When I came out there was a Mexican soccer team looking at me and one of them came running my way no doubt in the same predicament I was moments earlier. I was embarrassed and felt sorry for him. I peeled out as fast as I could and made my way on to Armleder rattled but none the worse for wear. In the days prior to this I had picked up 2 new species for the year. Barn Swallow and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. That makes 158 for the year so far. I saw another gopher today. e2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I call those “PHOTO FINISHES”!!!!!