Tuesday, June 17, 2008

SAW A YELLOW RAIL.....MAYBE......NOT

Driving back at the end of the day a little bird appeared(magically) in the gravel road in front of the truck and hurried into the tall grass and wasn't seen again. The habitat was good surrounding the road but I couldn't promise it wasn't a pheasant chick or something. You would think it would be easy to tell but it was quick and I am slow. I went back after dark but heard no pebbles clicking. I didn't hear a Yellow Rail either. I did hear some alien owls from outer space that really sounded cool. I was disappointed the next day to learn that the alien owls were actually Wilson's Snipe swooping overhead. I learned this by amazingly seeing and hearing one do the same thing in the middle day today. Below are some pics from today. e2

Clay-colored Sparrow chicks - North Dakota

Photo by e2

Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow nest - North Dakota

Photo by e2

Yellow Warbler nest - North Dakota

Photo by e2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I two thought I saw a yellow rail!!!! Although I think it was a Pomeranian!?!