Thursday, December 25, 2008

MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY!

I didn't blog yesterday for 2 reasons. 1. I had nothing to blog. 2. I nearly killed myself.....accidentally. It was the night before but my head has been hurting.
It was early evening on the 23rd and I hadn't brought the the trash cans in yet. I finally got motivated to get them and clean up the house. So, I got on my boots and rain jacket and headed out the door. With absolutely no thought to the weather or rain I hit the first step down from the porch and did a Charlie Brown. My feet went out and I broke my fall with the back of my head on the concrete step before I knew what happened. Everything was a solid sheet of ice. I laid on the sidewalk in the dark holding my head scared to death that I would be paralyzed or something. I was laying on the ground in the dark wearing dark clothing and just enjoying the soaking wet cool ground and the sleet hitting my face. I think I was at least just glad to be alive. After about 5 minutes I figured I better get up and get some help before I passed out. I went to the neighbors as my family was in Chicago and when they saw me at the door they immediately asked what was wrong. I guess I didn't look so hot!? They took care of me and watched me for a bit. Instead of feeling better I started feeling nauseous and very tired. From watching t.v. I figured if I fell asleep I would die, so I said I was going back home to throw up and get ready to go to the hospital. I started to think an ambulance ride might not be covered by our insurance and if I didn't die my wife would kill me so I decided to sit down and just see how I felt after a bit. Sure enough, after awhile I started feeling better and after a few hours felt safe to go to bed. I was very happy to wake up the next day. The back of my head hurts like hell and I strained all of my abdominal muscles but I feel fine otherwise. Hard to believe the temps are going to be in the 50s now. I guess I can get out on a ladder tomorrow!

2 comments:

Shoe said...

I was wondering about the story. Sounds awful! Glad you are ok though!

You had no Christmas stories?

My almost 3 yr old nephew got a sweet Giro helmet for his bike. I didn't get it for him though. I am very proud of the new decanter I got. It matches our crytsal (not that I care about that too much), but it holds whiskey!

BWS said...

OUCH!!! I've done that (well, not EXACTLY that) several times before, and it is horrible. My best was when I was in middle school--working out on the body bag downstairs on a smooth concrete floor...in my socks. Decided to do a "head kick" to the bag...having never been trained in karate, I didn't have my "center"...well at least until my ribs and spine slammed down onto the concrete, followed shortly by my head!!! Everyone was upstairs and I couldn't even call out to help..I had no air in my lungs!!!!