Tuesday, September 8, 2009

BITTERN OVER THE HIGHWAY

Went to Chicago over the Lumber Day weekend. I visited the 135th st wetlands. It was a bit far for the binocular but I did see 41 Great Egret, 16 Great Blue Heron, 1 Northern Flicker and a bunch of mallards and Blue-winged Teal. Also 2 Osprey. There were Killdeer and a few other fall sandpipers I couldn't make out at the distance I was. (20 feet). On the trip I also saw a Harlan's Hawk at Cooper's Hawk grove. The highlight had to be the bittern I saw awkwardly flying down I-65. I'm fairly certain it was a Least Bittern judging by the size. We had just gotten back on the highway where there was lots of wetland area and there it was, unmistakeably bittern, with an awkward woodpecker/tern-like wingbeat. If you think I was startled imagine how he felt. Something must have startled him pretty good to get him flying down I-65 at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I am sure he was a bit lighter than before he took off anyway!

No comments: