Saturday, January 2, 2010

Birding in 2010

I started out in 2008 trying to see as many species as I could with 500 the goal in one year. Finance dictated less travel than I had hoped for and I came up well short. I wanted to get an early start and took Liam, 6 years old at the time, out on Jan 1 and birded all day. We got about 60 species if I remember correctly. He also went to AZ with me to get some great birds including about 12 hummingbird species. Now he wants to go out every Jan 1 to start out the year birding. We were busy yesterday and couldn't get out until about 4pm. We only had time to go to one place and he chose "the off road place" or as local birders know it, the Oxbow. We only saw 27 species(I guess I can't do the bakers dozen Jeff) in our brief time frame but had a good time. It was colder than a well diggers ass sitting on an ice block....in Antarctica....during the winter....on a windswept plateau. It was cold.
We saw a Red-shouldered Hawk on the way and when we got there found at least a hundred American Tree Sparrows.

Remembering the feeling of security while birding AZ with my 6 year old.

No comments: