Sunday, January 20, 2008

Too Cold or TOO OLD!

I have not ventured out to bird because of the cold. 0 deg. with the wind chill today; -9 this morning! It makes me feel old to not want to go out in the cold, so tomorrow I will bold the cold to fight the old! Truth be told I may rather be old than fight the cold!
I had to go out to run an errand and of course took my binocular and had my eye out for birds. I saw a Red-tailed Hawk which I always do but not much else. I stopped by a train watching spot for a few minutes and so no trains but saw birds continuously flying down to the rails and back to the bushes. I got out the binocs (spell check wants this to be bionics) and saw that they were primarily cardinals but starlings as well. I don't know what they were attracted to but it seemed they were sitting on the rails for periods of time. Maybe the shiny metal rails were warmed by the sun? Maybe there was some kind of seed matter on the tracks? Just a random observation.
P.S. I really want to see a Streak-breasted Woodpecker (South America)

No comments: