Wednesday, April 23, 2008

CREATURES IN THE NIGHT

I have been stepping outside at dusk for awhile now waiting to see my first nighthawk for the year. None yet. But, tonight I saw a Chimney Swift and said to myself "Chimney Swift" and again realizing it was the first time I have seen them this year "CHIMNEY SWIFT!" cool. 6 of them in all. Shortly after that I went out listening for owls. I went over to California Woods thinking I could park at the gate and listen for awhile. When I got there it was about 9:10pm and dark but the gates were wide open and I couldn't find the sign I thought was there that said "Open Dawn to Dusk" so I drove on in. It was spooky dark and silent as I drove in and I started imagining Leatherface hiding in the trees. The desire to hear an owl kept me from leaving right away but I didn't stay long. Then I drove over to Magrish just down the road. A sign there said the park was open until 10pm so I parked for awhile and listened....to nothing. At 9:34pm I decided to leave. Remember, the sign said 10pm so I should have had 26 more minutes. When I put the car in reverse and started to back out a loud crack exploded through the silence and a strobe light started flashing. The next thing I here is a SWAT team voice saying "THIS AREA IS NOW UNDER SURVEILLANCE" and more I couldn't make out as I peeled out expecting stop sticks to blow my tires and a commando team to rip me out of the car putting my face in the pavement, demanding to know what the hell I was doing there 30min before the park closed. Luckily that didn't happen and as machine gun fire whistled passed my open window I turned up Salem Ave. in the wrong direction. I seemed to be safe but didn't know where I was going. Suddenly right in front of me a Barred Owl flew out of the trees right in front of the car flying in the same direction I was and I basically followed him right up the road for a bit. I couldn't believe it. I still haven't heard one this year though. I guess it could have been a realistic looking robotic surveillance owl but probably not. I went home. I am still home. I should be in a home? Maybe. It is all true except the machine gun fire. Chimney Swift and Barred Owl make 163. e2

No comments: