Saturday, April 26, 2008

HOLY WARBLERS BATMAN!

I went down to Lexington Cemetery in you guessed it, Lexington, Ky today(Apr. 26th). I was there with 2 other relatively poorly skilled birders but we were able to get 42 species in about 1.5 hours. I have to check before I put up the official number but I think about 13 of them were new species for the year. We were given a "life look" at a Great Crested Flycatcher and a couple of Scarlet Tanagers! Warblers included Black-throated Green, Magnolia, Nashville, Black-and-White, Palm, Bay-breasted and Yellow-rumped. Vireos included Blue-headed, Yellow-throated, White-eyed & Red-eyed. There was a tree full of Rose-breasted Grosbeak ornaments and hundreds of White-throated Sparrows. At one point I heard a strange sound and said "What the heck was that!?" Turns out it was a pair of Cooper's Hawks making sweet raptor love! Looks like the number now is 179 for the year. 16 new for the year! e2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Takes one to know one!!

Anonymous said...

EXACTLY!!