Monday, September 22, 2008

UNIDENTIFIED PECKER



Liam had his 7th birthday party Saturday. Here he is sporting one of his presents, a new Cub Scout uniform shirt. Yes, I am an Assistant Den Leader and have a uniform shirt as well. I will likely bird at Pelee in it next year.


Liam - 7 years old - Happy Birthday!

We went to Rowe woods this afternoon. I saw flickers(YELLOW shafted), nuthatches, cardinals, titmice, chickadees, robins, downys, goldfinches, bluejays and one unidentified species due to lack of binocular. They remodeled the nature center and it is now totally awesome dude! Take a Starbucks and check it out sometime. We have had an unidentified knocking on our house a couple of times in the last few days and learned it was a Downy Woodpecker. Also, some bats have moved in between the trim and old siding that hasn't been removed yet. While I was gone this summer starlings nested in the porch roof where a piece of wood I am repairing had been removed. There is also a coyote living in the basement now; not really. I guess if you don't renovate fast enough nature takes over for you. I totally restored my first window today. The old glaze was dried and falling off and 2 panes of glass were cracked so I removed the glass, scraped the old paint with a heat gun and knife and then sanded it to bare wood. I primed the outside and the next day installed new glass and glaze. I had never glazed a window before but am getting the hang of it and I am so proud of the result that I decided to tell you all about it.


The outside facing the elements before restoration....obviously. Click on it to enlarge. I guess you can't enlarge the window pics. I don't know why. Hopefully you get the idea.



Restored, new glaze, primed and ready to paint.



The interior side with layers of old lead paint and sickly sweet burning old stain underneath destroying my lungs.

New glaze on exterior.


The interior stripped, sanded and ready for a new stain.


Only about 17 more to go. e2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate when I find bats in my trim!!!!!! Mal!

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh...I'm catching up! I'm up at Cape May for a mtg and was able to get out EARLY mornings and late evenings. Songbirding--not good...strong NE winds for 3 days straight. But, focused on waterbirds and shorebirds b/c I haven't looked for them at all this year. Not peak here any more, but still good stuff around. Piping plover at 30 feet, Parasitic Jaeger fly-by, American Oystercatcher, both dowitchers, etc. Also scoped out some specific places for Malarky to FINALLY find his yellow-crowned night-heron!!! At ~303 species (for the year, not the trip...that would be awesome, huh?)...bws