Saturday, April 25, 2009

NEW YARD BIRD tODAY

I got a new yard bird today....a couple of Northern Rough-winged Swallows were flying around the houses checking out cavities and sitting on the phone wires. I have never seen a swallow in my urban neighborhood in the 7+ years I have lived here.
Consequently I was surprised to see a single Northern Rough-winged Swallow doing the same in downtown Newport about 2 weeks ago.
Is it not uncommon for these birds to be urban? I had never heard of or seen it to be the case. No, they were not Chimney Swifts jackass.
Maybe a new phenomena caused by the damn starlings? Maybe I just am ignorant of the swallows habits.

1 comment:

Shoe said...

They like to nest in gutter drain spouts and other dumb places. Darwin is at work on your rough-winged swallows.