Friday, July 17, 2009

RAPTORS & BIKINIS

A trip yesterday yielded some great birds AND hot young ladies in bikinis! We went to Miami Whitewater and there was women on the lawn sunbathing in bikinis....actually they may have been girls and I am probably going to hell but they sure looked like women. We rode down to the river and while the kids tried to catch minnows with their crocs I went upstream to investigate some chirping swallows. I was hoping to find Bank Swallows but they were Northern rough-winged Swallows which was cool anyway. A Red-shouldered Hawk glided over causing a brief disturbance amongst the goldfinch & chickadees but was gone in a blink. The kids netted some crayfish, a small toad. Some other kids further upstream caught some bigger type of fish, giant minnow looking things about 5 inches long with a visible black lateral line almost as prominent as a Largemouth Bass. I hoped they weren't endangered. They were destined as bait for big catfish in the lake. I did also see some cool dragonflies? I had never noticed before. Big black delicate wings, the males wings having a white spot and the female without. The female also had a metallic green body. They were very cool looking. I didn't notice any other notable birds until riding out when we all got good looks at a hunting Broad-winged Hawk which was fun to watch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

E2's back!!!! YEAH!!!! Malarky...

Anonymous said...

It's not really hummer sweatshirt weather but I might have to break it out and head north with my binocs.